Tutor Orial

Improved the user flow of helping users find a tutor on a tutor website.

Role

Researcher & Designer

Timeline

2 months

Impact

This is a class project that I later had the opportunity to present at a NYC UX meetup conference for digital education

The Problem to Solve

My job was to discover the existing issues of the main user flow (searching and booking a tutor) and re-design it.

Original home Page

Desk Research

I first did some basic heuristic analysis to determine areas that do not adhere with pre-defined principles. Then, I went through the original flow to see what stuck out and felt like was missing. I was able to get some other designers to help out for this portion of the project. The more perspective the better! Finally, I did some adjacent industry audit as a reference to Tutor Orial.

Takeaway 1: Websites should inform users why certain information is necessary to be filled out, so users feel safe trusting the website with their personal information.

Takeaway 2: Good forms should be concise and easy to fill out, e.g. "sign up with Google."


My Desk Research Process

No items found.

User Research

I looked up the demographics of users who tend to use online tutoring websites. Even if there are children who are students, younger kids don't find tutors themselves; instead, their parents would search for them. Therefore, most people using tutor websites are adults. From this, I can come to the conclusion that the language and website interface should be more serious and professional.

No items found.

Ideation and Prototyping

I wanted to ensure that Tutor Orial provided information and transparency, which would ultimately increase the number of student customers. Therefore, rather than have users sign up and take questionnaires right from the beginning, I made these tasks not important, while putting the users' original goal (to find a tutor) as priority. Then, I sketched and created lofi prototyoes based on the decision.

No items found.

User Testings

I created a low-fi design for my flow and conducted usability testings with 3-4 people (participants were chosen at random via screening and surveying)

​​

Goals to find out during research:

From the interviews, I discovered that I had to put more emphasis on providing a tutor's identity - users were generally afraid of the website being a scam and that the teachers may not be "real." Such as, getting catfished by a photo.

A screen shot from one of my user test
One of my synthesis process, with the 4 W and 2x2 framework

Final UI

Final design features include:

  1. A new flow that guides users through each step with clear instructions
  2. Thorough background information on tutors' qualifications, including a video introduction
  3. Messaging platform - students can message tutors before scheduling a lesson
  4. Transparency of payment methods and next steps after a class has been scheduled.

Reflection

This project made me realize how much I loved user interviews. It was fun listening to people's feedback and thoughts because some can be very different. I'm happy to have put a lot of effort into research and interview. If I can redo this project, I would change the UI because it seems too generic of a website and not unique enough.